From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: FWIW, kde-plasma/plasma-desktop and kde-plasma/plasma-workspace no-baloo enhancement bug and patches
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 04:39:25
In Reply to: [gentoo-desktop] FWIW, kde-plasma/plasma-desktop and kde-plasma/plasma-workspace no-baloo enhancement bug and patches by Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
1 On 31/03/16 11:28, Duncan wrote:
2 > I've been able to patch out the (source) deps, and instead of patching
3 > the ebuilds themselves, I've placed those patches in the appropriate
4 > /etc/portage/patches/kde-plasma/plasma-[desktop|workspace]/ locations so
5 > the ebuilds apply them automatically, and either package.provided the
6 > baloo package itself to fake the dep for the ebuilds (works, but
7 > package.provided is deprecated), or created a fake baloo in my overlay
8 > that installs no files (what I'm actually doing now).
9 >
10 > That eliminates the actual baloo installation alone with the couple of
11 > other packages that only it pulled in on my system.
12
13 I'd say that Gentoo should not maintain their own fork of KDE. It's way
14 too much work. It's up to upstream to do this.
15
16 In my case, I don't need desktop search and have all that stuff disabled
17 in System Settings. A KDE build-time option would be useful, but I don't
18 think they consider this an issue, since users can disable it.