From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Multimedia Playback Speed
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:43:03
1 Thus spake Rémi Cardona on Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 07:27:08PM CDT
2 > Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > >I'm having difficulty getting multimedia clips to play at the proper speed.
4 > >Almost everything I play, across several players and file types, including
5 > >RealPlayer, wants to play too fast. Video goes quickly and voices all
6 > >sound
7 > >like The Chipmunks. None of the player utilities seem to have a speed
8 > >control so I don't know how to manage the problem. My laptop, running
9 > >Ubunto, doesn't have the problem. Windows doesn't have the problem,
10 > >although on my desktop system playing these clips inside a guest Windows OS
11 > >in VMware has the same problems that VMware always seems to have with audio
12 > >- lots of breaks in the audio (and video). I'd really like to to solve
13 > >this
14 > >problem on the Linux side.
15 > >
16 > >Does anyone have any ideas how I should go about correcting this?
19 > Could you provide more info about your hardware? mplayer/vlc/xine/...
20 > versions and so on ?
21
22 The sound card is a Turtle Beach Catalina which uses the evny24ht. I had
23 some initial problems with it since it requires S32_LE input to alsa
24 supported devices which wouldn't work unless I spec'd this format in my
25 .asoundrc.
26
27 The MB is an Asus P4C800 Delux with a single P4 running in hyperthreaded
28 mode. The CPU is overclocked 20% (I think) and runs fine.
29
30 Realplayer is at v10.0.1.436 (gold).
31
32 vlc isn't installed.
33
34 xine-lib is at v1.1.1, as per gentoo stable.
35
36 mlayer is at v1.0.20060217
37
38 totem is at v1.2.1
41 Anything else?
45 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
46 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
47 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
48 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
49 | (Pamela Jones) |
50 --