From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi2402@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nvidia video problems
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:46:48
1 Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > Can someone give me some guidance with regard to setting up xorg-x11-7.0-r1 to
3 > work with my Gainward GeForce 4 video card? Everything was working just fine
4 > with xorg-x11-6.8.2-r8 but after an emerge, X refuses to run! I get the
5 > following complaint in my Xorg.0.log file:
6 >
7 > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
8 > (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
9 >
10 > I've tried installing (unstable) nvidia-drivers and nvidia-legacy-drivers, but
11 > the kernel complains about an invlaid kernel module. I get the same error if I
12 > use the (stable) nvidia-kernel module. My current kernel version is
13 > 2.6.15-gentoo-r1. I can't go backwards. Because xorg-x11 has been so
14 > thoroughly reorganized and modularized I have something like 134 blockers
15 > (individual packages!) which would have to be individually removed before I
16 > could back-version to my previous xorg-x11.
17 >
18 > So I'm stuck without a desktop system until I can get this figured out. Any
19 > solid advice will be very much appreciated.
20
21 That happened to me a couple months ago, but I was never able to get a
22 working set of nvidia-driver/glx again. I switched to nv, which (as you
23 probably know) doesn't have any kind of 3D acceleration, but has yet to
24 bail out on me.
25
26 Things to look for (none of them worked for me but just in case) :
27 - presence of /dev/nvidia*
28 - recompile nvidia-kernel for your new kernel
29 - 4K stacks in your kernel
30 - ...
31
32 Sorry if I can't be of much more help.
33
34 Rémi
35 --
36 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list