From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:08:07
Thus spake Chris Gianelloni on Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 05:52:48PM CST
> Actually, it should be in /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc, and it > affects 4 packages, which I tend to think is enough to warrant it being > added as a global USE flag. > > > If I add 'hal' to my USE list, how much of gnome am I going to have to > > rebuild to get this working? > > 3 or 4 packages.
OK, I'm not up on /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc but soon will be. Looks like I can figure out which packages to rebuild from this file.
> > If gnome now depends on hal and dbus for detections, perhaps the relevant > > gnome ebuilds should contain dependencies to these. I know nothing about > > these packages, but that's nothing new. Gnome, Gentoo and other systems > > move so fast that every couple of weeks I have to go back to school ;-) > > Well, they aren't "required" for Gnome to work, which is probably why > they are enabled by USE flags. Again, I'm not a Gnome developer, so I > am sure someone from the Gnome team would be able to tell you more > accurately.
Gentoo could use an "advisory dependency" system much like Debian has ("package X suggests package Y"). -- Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <> | dandelions" | | (Pamela Jones) | -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list