From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Multimedia Playback Speed
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:33:47
1 Thus spake Robert Zwerus on Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:56:35AM CDT
2 > On Monday 17 April 2006 18:41, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > > The sound card is a Turtle Beach Catalina which uses the evny24ht. I had
4 > > some initial problems with it since it requires S32_LE input to alsa
5 > > supported devices which wouldn't work unless I spec'd this format in my
6 > > .asoundrc.
7 > >
8 > > mlayer is at v1.0.20060217
9 > What happens when you play without sound, e.g. mplayer blah.avi -ao null?
10
11 'mplayer /blah.../blah.mov' plays too fast. I can't slow it down to a proper
12 speed.
13
14 'mplayer /blah.../blah.mov -ao null' appears to play at a proper speed w. no
15 sound.
16
17 Interesting.
18
19 I can't seem to use mplayer for streaming clips in galeon since I get no
20 sound at all. The process table shows an executing mplayer with options:
21
22 mplayer -really-quiet -nojoystick -nofs -zoom -vo xv,x11 -ao
23 esd,alsa,oss,arts,null -osdlevel 0 http://url/blah.mov
24
25 Not sure if this invocation format is coming from plugger or some other
26 place. Looks like mplayer is falling through to the null output driver even
27 though alsa works, and esd is running. Speed appears normal, but no sound.
28 I can't turn up the sound with the number keys.
29
30 I'm suspicious of the sound card. I have a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS which I
31 ordered which has an emu10K2 with which I've had previous (positive)
32 experience in Linux.
33
34 I have a split output system here, which makes things a little complicated
35 since I require that it work properly in Linux. Playback of CDs, wav, mp3
36 and other files from xmms and cd players gets routed to an external amp and
37 a couple of small JBL studio control room monitors. The beeps and bops of
38 gnome sounds indicating desktop actions get routed to a couple of cheap
39 speakers built into my monitor. Getting this split system to work with a
40 new card is always a PITA.
43 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
44 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
45 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
46 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
47 | (Pamela Jones) |
48 --