From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: A few problems with CDs and sound
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:58:42
1 Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> posted
2 47F0F821.4010101@×××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 31 Mar
3 2008 10:41:37 -0400:
4
5 > Lindsay Haisley wrote:
6 >> When in doubt on these things, I generally winnow down the slotted
7 >> components and re-emerge everything involved, and run revdep-rebuild
8 >> enough to satisfy me that there aren't any _obvious_ breakages.
9 >
10 > Hey Lindsay, you might have a look at the output of emerge --depclean
11 > -p. If you have a lot of old packages on your machine, there's no
12 > telling what versions of them are being linked. If you can get rid of
13 > things that don't belong anymore, you might find that revdep-rebuild
14 > will find a lot of breakages (indicating that packages were linking to
15 > old versions of packages). Do be cautious before blindly unmerging
16 > things though!
17
18 Just what I was going to suggest. gnome-vfs-1.x would have been part of
19 gnome-1, which AFAIK is long gone. If you still have it around, chances
20 are you have a lot of stale packages still around. Cleaning some of that
21 thicket out should be a good thing, but of course you're likely to have a
22 bunch of bad revdep-rebuild dependencies to fix after you do.
23
24 One thing you might try for anything you are in doubt on, assuming you
25 don't use FEATURES=buildpkg and therefore have the binary packages
26 already, is to use quickpkg to package up anything before removal. That
27 way, if something critical stops working, you should still be able to
28 remerge from the binary-package. (In the event portage itself stops
29 working, since the binpkg is simply a bz2'ed tarball with some extra
30 metadata tacked onto the end, it's possible to extract individual files
31 manually, until one gets a working system once again. If the system's
32 broken to the point that doesn't work either, use any LiveCD with tar-
33 bunzip support.)
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
41 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list