From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:15:25
begin  quote
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:25:30 +0200
Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:

Okay, I'm short of temper today, so I'll try to not come across as
wanting to tear you apart.   *grins*

> Well, we now have ACL support. You can easilly do this with acl in a > straightforward way. We might want to make a manual describing how to > do it.
Oops. guess that we don't have it supported then. We have the ability to support it, however, I'm of the mind that a procedure that -isn't- documented as avaiable for end-users isn't supported. Thats why we have documentation.
> > > Currently I'm using chmod 1777 /media/music, and run a script to > > regularly set the permissions below it as this: > > chgrp -R audio > > chmod g+rw (for files) > > chmod g+rxw (for directories) > > Acl's can set default permissions so your script shouldn't be needed > anymore > (but you might want to run it once in a while to ensure that).
Yep, Thats good if they can, and thats a good step to supporting something like this.
> > however, this isn't really "optimal", but it works, and allows all > > users to actually share the music. The whole idea is that the > > directory is common storage, the same goes for other media. Things > > that are private go into ~ anyhow. > > ACL's are great.
> > the main argument for it is that I/we can export /media/music over > > samba/nfs for other people, it separates user-data from "global > > commune" > > data (at least where I live its perfectly ok to share music like > > this. > > *waves to the RIAA* ) > > And you know what? Samba supports ACL's too. >
Have I ever even refuted ACL's? I didn't bring them up since they aren't documented as a possibility. Neither are group rights, Merlin, or any of the other rights based permission-sets avaiable for unix. I didn't bring up clustered stores either, even if those can, technically, be used. Neither did I bring up things like R/W VFAT mounts, which would -also- solve the problem of having a shared space for files... Simply by not having rights management :-) Frankly, my point wasn't about ACL, the point of wether ACL was great or less good than the small rocks stuck in the soles of my boots, or for that matter if we should simply discard all rights management or not. The question I posed, along with a somewhat make-shift solution, was that we ought to have such a thing documented as avaiable. (yes, that means supported ;) I've seen solutions based on WebDAV + mdns to discover it, by indexing the local Music dir in users homedirs shared with apache to the other users (rendezvous / zeroconf style) But, this again, isn't something we support, nor would I really advocate it, as it isn't optimal in any sense. Sharp rant out. //Spider -- begin .signature Tortured users / Laughing in pain See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information. end

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>