From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] CD player recommendations ??
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:58:33
Lindsay Haisley ha scritto:
> The issue is also that some KDE apps have hooks that not only don't work with > Gnome, but which do nasty things such as crash the Gnome panels or some other > part of the Gnome desktop environment when you try to run them. Some, such as > k3b, are well behaved in this regard (although it didn't used to be) but > others, such as kscd aren't.
Since I don't use Gnome, I didn't know this. Very bad indeed :( .On the other hand, I've never, ever seen KDE glitching by mean of a Gnome app.
>> 1) Gnome and KDE make use of a rather large stack of runtime libraries that >> remain resident. If you are running a Gnome desktop and start up a KDE >> application, the first thing that happens is the stack of libraries for KDE >> loads up into the system and remain resident until you restart the X >> server. This requires a significant amount of resources. Same thing if you >> are running KDE and start up a Gnome application.
I wasn't aware of this, I must confess. Is there any way to prevent it, so that when you close the app, it cleans the libs from memory? On my main desktop is not a problem, but it would be nice to know just in case.
>> 2) Each environment has a number of dependencies. If you only have one >> environment installed, installing an application for the other requires that >> you also install all those libraries and dependencies. Maybe not a major >> issue for some, but a consideration none-the-less.
Well, it's a very minimal disk space consumption on / that I think it's worth the benefit.