From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: mp3 to cd audio
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 15:38:48
1 On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 15:17 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Seconded. k3b works very well for this task, altho it's a KDE app so if
3 > you're a GNOME only guy, it'll mean merging a lot of dependencies. (Even
4 > for KDE folks, it can mean a lot of transcoding type app dependencies, if
5 > they haven't merged any yet.) Fortunately, I'm a KDE guy, so only had
6 > the transcoding type dependencies to worry about.
7
8 I run a Gnome desktop here and without a doubt k3b is the best CD
9 burning software I've ever used on _any_ platform. It's rock-solid, the
10 UI is very well designed, and it has all the functionality I need and
11 more. My only complaint with it is that when organizing large numbers
12 of small files (several thousand) for burning to a CD, it can be
13 dog-slow, as in go-have-lunch-and-a-cup-of-coffee slow.
14
15 k3b used to muck with my Gnome desktop and sometimes cause various Gnome
16 UI components to crash, but somewhere along the way this got worked out
17 and now it works flawlessly.
18
19 I believe k3b depends entirely on cdrecord for low-level access to the
20 CD burner. It'll do DVDs, too.
23 Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
24 FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at
25 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
26 http://www.fmp.com | |
29 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list