From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] using -j1 with distcc?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:56:14
1 On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:34:52AM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > From bind-9.3.2-r4.ebuild:
3 >
4 > # idea from dev-libs/cyrus-sasl
5 > if has distcc ${FEATURES}; then
6 > einfo "You have \"distcc\" enabled"
7 > einfo "build with MAKEOPTS=\"-j1\""
8 > jobs="-j1"
9 > else
10 > einfo "build with MAKEOPTS=${MAKEOPTS}"
11 > jobs=""
12 > fi
13 >
14 > emake ${jobs} || die "failed to compile bind"
15 >
16 > I think this is bogus. If building with distcc reveals a parallel
17 > build issue, then the issue exists with or without distcc, it just
18 > seems to happen less often without it. We've been down this road
19 > before, maybe people have forgotten?
20 >
21 > bind-9.3.2-r4.ebuild failed to build for me on dual ia64. Building
22 > with -j1 works.
23 >
24 > Unless somebody can explain how this is valid, I'll go ahead and fix
25 > the bind ebuilds (where "fix" means "use -j1 unconditionally since the
26 > Makefiles aren't parallel safe").
27
28 Similar trickery in app-office/openoffice, although they enable -jN if
29 distcc is enabled, else -j1 ...
30
31 Always wondered how that was valid, just avoid OO compiles enough it
32 wasn't something I ever got around to looking into :)
33 ~harring