From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reiserfs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:32:12
1 Alexander Gretencord [arutha@×××.de] wrote:
2 > Well I think it's ok to tell people something like "I've had great problems
3 > with that fs, here's a link to more info about it." This would go as a kind
4 > reminder that there may be problems I think. But as it stands now it's worth
5 > nothing.
6
7 Except that it still only reflects a few people's opinion. Unless you have
8 the overwhelming support of the community that a particular filesystem is
9 bad news (for example, if it got yanked from the kernel, or the kernel
10 developers stuck warnings all over it because it's so dangerous, like the
11 ntfs write code) then you have an argument. Even then I wouldn't do it.
12
13 The reason is that then you have to track that. You have to watch its
14 development and remember to go back and change it all in the documentation
15 later when it gets fixed up...or disappears from active development.
16
17 Instead, let users educate themselves, and make their own choices, and
18 enable them to make those choices.
19
20 > > Unless of course you are shooting for the "Stupid User" segment of the
21 > > population.
22 >
23 > Well you don't need to be a filesystem guru to install gentoo so I think that
24 > it's ok to warn about a filesystem _if_ and only if you do say why.
25
26 No, and you don't need to be an expert mechanic to buy a car either. But
27 if you want to pick a good one, you at least need to educate yourself a
28 bit on how they perform, and do some reading. You might get lucky by just
29 guessing or trusting the first salesperson you meet, but I wouldn't count
30 on it.