From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:19:17
1 On Tuesday 15 July 2003 12:19, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > John,
3 >
4 > > By creating this document, I hope to help fix the problems
5 > > that I see with Gentoo Linux.
6 >
7 > Mmm ... the problems I see with Gentoo Linux seem to be a little different:
8 >
9 > a) ebuilds marked stable w/ no robust QA procedures
10 > b) unmaintained ebuilds
11 > c) too many packages that Gentoo has no ebuilds for (yet ;-)
12 > d) bugs not addressed quickly enough
15 I hope you realise that your desires are conflicting. more ebuilds leads to
16 more unmaintained ebuilds. More QA needs more time.
17
18 We are trying to address these problems in a way that is satisfactory for
19 everyone.
20
21 <big cut>
22
23 > So I'm calling for the debate to shift away from politics, and onto
24 > practicalities. Where are the *procedural* problems with Gentoo? What can
25 > be done to get more ebuilds into portage, make it easier to keep ebuilds up
26 > to date with current releases, and all whilst improving the quality of the
27 > (dare I say it) 'customer experience'? Damnit - *these* are the things
28 > that should matter.
29
30 Be assured that these issues are being addressed. This requires time though,
31 as restructuring is necessary for it to happen.
32
33 Paul
36 Paul de Vrieze
37 Researcher