From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zoom concerns
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 11:22:49
1 On 2020-04-07 12:35, Alessandro Barbieri wrote:
2 > What about moving all of these binary-only packages in an official overlay
3 > (made for the scope) or in GURU?
4
5 And which problem is that going to solve?
6
7 Do we want to tell world, "Look! Gentoo is the most secure distribution!
8 We have zero vulnerabilities*!"
9
10 *Because we move vulnerable packages to an overlay!
11
12 Please, don't get me wrong. But the whole thread looks like pure
13 activism to me. It looks like most people don't understand any details
14 but have the feeling "but we must do *anything*". This ignores the fact,
15 that most discussed issues in Zoom for example are found/caused by the
16 installer. Something we don't have in the Linux version. Or requires
17 write access into Zoom application directory which also doesn't affect
18 us (this is BTW a can Google opened years ago when they tried to get
19 market shares and were looking for a way to allow users to just install
20 their software without asking their IT department. Since then it became
21 'normal' to install software in user profile. The problem: This allows
22 any user process to modify these files, plant exploits to abuse
23 vulnerable loaders and stuff like that you don't have when you do proper
24 ACLs).
25
26 Regarding bin/non-bin: Software has bugs. Some software tends to have
27 more issues. Just because we have the source code and compile software
28 on user's system doesn't make the application itself more secure than
29 the provided binary package.
33 Regards,
34 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
35 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5