From: Alessandro Barbieri <lssndrbarbieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zoom concerns
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 10:35:23
1 What about moving all of these binary-only packages in an official overlay
2 (made for the scope) or in GURU?
3
4 Il Gio 2 Apr 2020, 02:48 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> ha scritto:
5
6 > On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 8:18 PM Alessandro Barbieri
7 > <lssndrbarbieri@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > I have concerns about the inclusion of zoom in ::gentoo. For me it's
10 > more like a malware.
11 > > From the hacker news feed you'll find out that:
12 >
13 > I guess we could stick an einfo in the post-install messages, but if
14 > you're joining a zoom meeting are you going to be any more secure if
15 > you manually install the files instead? I can't imagine that people
16 > are going to stop attending meetings just because they picked the
17 > wrong software to host them. Plus a few of those concerns apply to
18 > MANY packages - such as a lack of end-to-end encryption, or ever
19 > having had a zero day.
20 >
21 > I'm not intending to endorse Zoom here, but Gentoo isn't really
22 > intended as a purist distro that will never include a package if it is
23 > associated with a service that might collect user data and so on. In
24 > fact, we have many packages with these associations. Ultimately users
25 > can decide what they want to run, and we're just providing the files
26 > in the most convenient and secure manner possible. For example, when
27 > the zero day is fixed if you're using Gentoo you'll benefit from our
28 > security policy, while you would not if you had just manually
29 > installed some files/etc...
30 >
31 > --
32 > Rich