From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zoom concerns
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 00:48:19
1 On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 8:18 PM Alessandro Barbieri
2 <lssndrbarbieri@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > I have concerns about the inclusion of zoom in ::gentoo. For me it's more like a malware.
5 > From the hacker news feed you'll find out that:
6
7 I guess we could stick an einfo in the post-install messages, but if
8 you're joining a zoom meeting are you going to be any more secure if
9 you manually install the files instead? I can't imagine that people
10 are going to stop attending meetings just because they picked the
11 wrong software to host them. Plus a few of those concerns apply to
12 MANY packages - such as a lack of end-to-end encryption, or ever
13 having had a zero day.
14
15 I'm not intending to endorse Zoom here, but Gentoo isn't really
16 intended as a purist distro that will never include a package if it is
17 associated with a service that might collect user data and so on. In
18 fact, we have many packages with these associations. Ultimately users
19 can decide what they want to run, and we're just providing the files
20 in the most convenient and secure manner possible. For example, when
21 the zero day is fixed if you're using Gentoo you'll benefit from our
22 security policy, while you would not if you had just manually
23 installed some files/etc...
26 Rich