From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zoom concerns
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 12:11:55
1 >>>>> On Thu, 02 Apr 2020, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > I guess we could stick an einfo in the post-install messages,
4
5 Not sure if that's necessary. Zoom is a proprietary, closed-source,
6 fetch-restricted package, so users should know that they cannot expect
7 the same level of quality as for free software. (In the default
8 configuration, it is license-masked, so users must explicitly unmask
9 it before installation.)
10
11 > but if you're joining a zoom meeting are you going to be any more
12 > secure if you manually install the files instead? I can't imagine that
13 > people are going to stop attending meetings just because they picked
14 > the wrong software to host them. Plus a few of those concerns apply to
15 > MANY packages - such as a lack of end-to-end encryption, or ever
16 > having had a zero day.
17
18 > I'm not intending to endorse Zoom here, but Gentoo isn't really
19 > intended as a purist distro that will never include a package if it is
20 > associated with a service that might collect user data and so on. In
21 > fact, we have many packages with these associations. Ultimately users
22 > can decide what they want to run, and we're just providing the files
23 > in the most convenient and secure manner possible. For example, when
24 > the zero day is fixed if you're using Gentoo you'll benefit from our
25 > security policy, while you would not if you had just manually
26 > installed some files/etc...
27
28 +1
29