From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: The big eclasses massacre
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:12:27
1 On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 20:58 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:54:07 +0100 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | after the recent discussion about eclass versioning, possible flaws in
5 > | eclass signing/authentication I'd like to see eclass versioning
6 > | implemented. This will hopefully reduce some frustrating bugs and
7 > | consistency problems, but will cause a bit more work for the
8 > | maintainers and some small additions to portage.
9 >
10 > Well, you can handle incompatible package versions from the one eclass
11 > using versionator. toolchain and vim do this already...
12
13 Yes, no problems with that, but I was thinking about incompatible
14 _eclass_ versions. At the moment, no easy checks for changed eclasses
15 are available. This has even be compared to the windows "dll hell" by
16 some people since it's possible but unneccessarily difficult to keep
17 your system consistent when eclasses (rarely as that happens) change.
18 (Or rather, their behaviour changes in (for the user) unpredictable
19 ways). Also, what happens if someone uses an overlay with a
20 better/newer/older eclass version? As long as there is no distinction
21 between versions, I can imagine lots of *ahem* interesting problems that
22 could be avoided.
23
24 Thanks for your input,
25