From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: The big eclasses massacre
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:25:01
1 On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:12:24 +0100 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > Well, you can handle incompatible package versions from the one
4 | > eclass using versionator. toolchain and vim do this already...
5 |
6 | Yes, no problems with that, but I was thinking about incompatible
7 | _eclass_ versions. At the moment, no easy checks for changed eclasses
8 | are available. This has even be compared to the windows "dll hell" by
9 | some people since it's possible but unneccessarily difficult to keep
10 | your system consistent when eclasses (rarely as that happens) change.
11 | (Or rather, their behaviour changes in (for the user) unpredictable
12 | ways).
13
14 Well, that wouldn't be a problem if people kept code in eclasses for as
15 long as necessary. Avoiding the need to change multiple files more than
16 necessary is one of the reasons we have eclasses. Versioned eclasses
17 could very easily lead to that kind of horrid mess we already have with
18 having to update zillions of profiles whenever something changes.
19
20 | Also, what happens if someone uses an overlay with a
21 | better/newer/older eclass version? As long as there is no distinction
22 | between versions, I can imagine lots of *ahem* interesting problems
23 | that could be avoided.
24
25 They're screwed. Using eclasses in overlay breaks the cache in all sorts
26 of weird and wonderful ways.
29 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
30 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
31 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm