From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: The big eclasses massacre
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:54:13
1 On Sunday 07 November 2004 21:23, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Well, that wouldn't be a problem if people kept code in eclasses for as
3 > long as necessary. Avoiding the need to change multiple files more than
4 > necessary is one of the reasons we have eclasses. Versioned eclasses
5 > could very easily lead to that kind of horrid mess we already have with
6 > having to update zillions of profiles whenever something changes.
7
8 That's very true.
9
10 If you rev bump a versioned eclass, you need to go and edit all the ebuilds
11 which should be using the new eclass version. Should you then rev dump each
12 of those ebuilds? If you do, you could end up with a lot of work. But if
13 you don't, you're not addressing the 'dll hell' problem at all.
14
15 Patrick - rather than rush in with a solution, I think you'd be better off
16 starting by getting the problem well defined. Figure out exactly what
17 problem it is that you're trying to solve, and then a solution may follow.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Stu
21 --
22 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
23 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
24 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
25
26 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
27 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C