From: Fred Gates <dabozz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: BASH feature: directory jumping w/o 'cd']
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:28:42
1 this might qualify to be added to the bash ebuild. might want to vote and
2 see if enough people like it first. unless its already implemented in
3 gentoo?
4
5 ---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
6 Subject: BASH feature: directory jumping w/o 'cd'
7 From: "Walsh, Matt" <matt.walsh@×××××.com>
8 Date: Tue, March 9, 2004 6:59 pm
9 To: bug-bash@×××.org
10 --------------------------------------------------------------------------
11
12 This improvement will save you three keystrokes, but they're 3
13 keystrokes you type a whole lot for no reason at all. Yes, I'm talking
14 about the keystrokes 'c-d-(space)'
15
16 I was a big fan of the old '4DOS' utility for DOS. One of my favorite
17 features was where from a command line you could simply type a
18 directory, and it would go there. I.e., instead of typing
19
20 cd \Windows
21
22 You, in 4DOS could just type
23
24 \Windows
25
26 In BASH, if you try this, it simply complains that "___ is a directory".
27 In other words, it's a distinct unhandled case. Why not use this case for
28 something useful?
29
30 So, I made some mods to bash to make this in fact work like it did in
31 4DOS. You only have to patch one file, 'execute_cmd.c'
32
33 I threw together this web page with more details.
34 http://www.mattwalsh.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/BashDirectoryJumpPatch
35
36 I think users will find it addictive; I did with 4DOS and now it's like
37 falling in love again.
38
39 If it you find a hole in this scheme please let me know. The only thing I
40 can think of is that some scripts might be sloppy and simply check to see
41 if a directory exists in this really backwards way. The code
42 changes were actually very simple. If it looks ok I'll submit a patch to
43 the BASH mailing list.
44
45 --matt Walsh
48 <<bash_dirchange.patch>>