From: Phil Richards <news@××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: BASH feature: directory jumping w/o 'cd']
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:23:45
1 On 2004-03-11, Fred Gates <dabozz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > this might qualify to be added to the bash ebuild. might want to vote and
3 > see if enough people like it first. unless its already implemented in
4 > gentoo?
5 >
6 > ---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
7 > Subject: BASH feature: directory jumping w/o 'cd'
8 > From: "Walsh, Matt" <matt.walsh@×××××.com>
9 > Date: Tue, March 9, 2004 6:59 pm
10 > To: bug-bash@×××.org
11 > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
12
13 Clearly it has already been sent to the bash maintainers - if they
14 reject it, I can see no sensible reason why gentoo should create a
15 non-standard (from the user perspective) bash for their system.
16 If they accept it, then all well and good (and it most certainly
17 wouldn't be the default behaviour).
18
19 *If* the patch was ever added just to gentoo, the functionality should
20 only ever be enabled for interactive shells - scripts, in my view,
21 need to be portable. Making a non-standard command line is one thing,
22 making a non-standard scripting language is quite another...
23
24 > I think users will find it addictive; I did with 4DOS and now it's like
25
26 Erm, yes. I find typing many commands addictive. Sometimes I sit in
27 front of a keyboard typing "ls" hundreds of time just for the buzz it
28 gives me.
29
30 phil
31 --