From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: RFC - Gentoo on the Lab
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:03:20
1 Ricardo Loureiro posted <20050822142658.0f5f7aab@××××××××××××.org>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:26:58 +0100:
3
4 > BSD licence allows any fork to be created with any other licence, so
5 > a BSD project can have a GPL fork. I didn't thought about changing
6 > Portage itself simply because I don't know if the changes are welcome
7 > to Gentoo itself, probably more a Gentoo server project. But if that
8 > is a possibility I have no problems with GPL.
9
10 The idea is welcome, and a Gentoo Server project (with its implications
11 for portage) has been discussed and even started (AFAIK) a number of
12 times. Whether or not it would actually be added to portage is another
13 matter, no promises (nor as a user could I give them), of course, but the
14 idea is not to complicate any such possibilities with an incompatible
15 license.
16
17 Certainly, such projects have been the beginnings of serious advances in
18 any number of open source projects...
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
24 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list