From: Ricardo Loureiro <rjlouro@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC - Gentoo on the Lab
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:30:18
1 On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 04:31:09 -0700
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Of course, the other possibility, if the permissiveness of BSD is
5 > desired,
6 > would be a dual-license BSD/GPL. That clears up any possible
7 > conflicts
8 > directly and immediately. OTOH, with portage itself already GPL2
9 > licensed, I'm not sure I see much point in BSD licensing any portage
10 > dependent new code, in any case, since it's dependent on GPL2 code
11 > anyway.
12 > Still, the dual license certainly can't harm, and would likely be my
13 > choice if I wanted the BSD permissiveness to apply to my code,
14 > under the
15 > circumstances. (FWIW, I prefer GPL, so there's no question that's
16 > how I'd
17 > license it if it were me, but it's not, so that doesn't count.)
20 BSD licence allows any fork to be created with any other licence, so
21 a BSD project can have a GPL fork. I didn't thought about changing
22 Portage itself simply because I don't know if the changes are welcome
23 to Gentoo itself, probably more a Gentoo server project. But if that
24 is a possibility I have no problems with GPL.
27 Ricardo Loureiro
28 --
29 http://pgp.dei.uc.pt:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B7C0EC0