From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC - Gentoo on the Lab
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:38:39
1 Donnie Berkholz posted <430947E3.1000201@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:34:59 -0700:
3
4 > Ricardo Loureiro wrote:
5 >
6 > | The final result of the project will be released to the community
7 > | (GPL or BSD, still need to think), so I'd love to ear from users
8 > | dealing with this kind of scenario, question, comments, whatever you
9 > | think I should focus on. Oh, a name for the project would be welcome
10 > | =)
11 >
12 > I strongly encourage you to release it under the same license as Portage
13 > is (GPL-2), so parts (or all) of it could be incorporated into Gentoo.
14
15 If I'm not mistaken (and I admit I could be, IANAL), BSD licensed
16 material, because the BSD license is a more permissive license with
17 generally few conditions, can be co-mingled in a GPL (2) project without
18 issue, and with the whole thing continuing to be GPL (2) licensed. I'm
19 not sure whether BSD markers must remain attached or not. In fact, I
20 believe it's fairly common for the kernel, for instance, to borrow BSD
21 code, and that said borrowed code doesn't have to be treated specially at
22 all (save for the traditional ACK of original source, but that's only
23 responsible origin tracing, certainly within the context of the SCOs of
24 the world).
25
26 Of course, the other possibility, if the permissiveness of BSD is desired,
27 would be a dual-license BSD/GPL. That clears up any possible conflicts
28 directly and immediately. OTOH, with portage itself already GPL2
29 licensed, I'm not sure I see much point in BSD licensing any portage
30 dependent new code, in any case, since it's dependent on GPL2 code anyway.
31 Still, the dual license certainly can't harm, and would likely be my
32 choice if I wanted the BSD permissiveness to apply to my code, under the
33 circumstances. (FWIW, I prefer GPL, so there's no question that's how I'd
34 license it if it were me, but it's not, so that doesn't count.)
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
40 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list