From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:56:47
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 11:14:48AM +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 August 2003 07:50, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > >
4 > > It's for our benefit. Otherwise, we're screwed.
5 > >
6 > > Frankly, sometimes we have to do things to protect ourselves, even if
7 > > that means that when you contribute something to us, the contributed
8 > > piece that becomes a part of Gentoo belongs in an intellectual property
9 > > sense to Gentoo. You'll find the same situation if you want to
10 > > contribute code to GNU projects: copyright must be assigned to the FSF
11 > > so they can defend themselves.
12 >
13 > Just to chip in.. it seems a dangerous policy to advocate all of the
14 > copyrights being held in one place. Even if you trust Gentoo Technologies
15 > Inc. do you trust everyone else that has financial dealings with this
16 > company? Do you trust that no one in the world will sue Gentoo Tech. Inc.,
17 > say for patent infringement, or maybe claim a contract dispute and say that
18 > they own xxx lines of already contributed code?
19 >
20 > All it takes is for GTI to lose one court case and be bankrupted and it will
21 > be obligated to sell its assets to pay court costs and fines. Now any code
22 > where the copyright is solely held by GTI can have its license changed to a
23 > closed, non-free one, and at that point a proprietory non-free fork of Gentoo
24 > can be made. The GPL was explicitly designed to prevent this but when
25 > copyright is assigned you must make clear in the contract that the code can
26 > never be unGPLed.
27
28 The GPL already states that.
31 > I am unclear how copyright assignment is being done at the moment? I have
32 > never been asked to assign copyright for any contributed ebuilds, and I have
33 > never signed a contract with GTI, as far as I am concerned I still have
34 > copyright on those GPL ebuilds.
38 Only if you changed the copyright header to mention your name rather
39 than Gentoo Technologies.
42 Jon Portnoy
43 avenj/irc.freenode.net
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list