From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:14:50
1 On Thursday 21 August 2003 07:50, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 >
3 > It's for our benefit. Otherwise, we're screwed.
4 >
5 > Frankly, sometimes we have to do things to protect ourselves, even if
6 > that means that when you contribute something to us, the contributed
7 > piece that becomes a part of Gentoo belongs in an intellectual property
8 > sense to Gentoo. You'll find the same situation if you want to
9 > contribute code to GNU projects: copyright must be assigned to the FSF
10 > so they can defend themselves.
11
12 Just to chip in.. it seems a dangerous policy to advocate all of the
13 copyrights being held in one place. Even if you trust Gentoo Technologies
14 Inc. do you trust everyone else that has financial dealings with this
15 company? Do you trust that no one in the world will sue Gentoo Tech. Inc.,
16 say for patent infringement, or maybe claim a contract dispute and say that
17 they own xxx lines of already contributed code?
18
19 All it takes is for GTI to lose one court case and be bankrupted and it will
20 be obligated to sell its assets to pay court costs and fines. Now any code
21 where the copyright is solely held by GTI can have its license changed to a
22 closed, non-free one, and at that point a proprietory non-free fork of Gentoo
23 can be made. The GPL was explicitly designed to prevent this but when
24 copyright is assigned you must make clear in the contract that the code can
25 never be unGPLed.
26
27 I am unclear how copyright assignment is being done at the moment? I have
28 never been asked to assign copyright for any contributed ebuilds, and I have
29 never signed a contract with GTI, as far as I am concerned I still have
30 copyright on those GPL ebuilds.
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list