From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:30:51
1 On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:03:55PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 09/04/2012 05:06 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > >>
4 > >> As a compromise, it could be made policy that "bump to EAPI=foo" bugs
5 > >> are valid. If someone would benefit from such a bump, he can file a bug
6 > >> and know that it won't be closed WONTFIX. On the other hand, the dev is
7 > >> under no more pressure than usual to do the bump.
8 > >
9 > > If you attach a patch and have done the legwork, sure.
10 > >
11 > > If you're just opening bugs w/ "bump to EAPI=monkeys", bluntly, it's
12 > > noise and it's annoying. EAPI bump requests for pkgs that need to
13 > > move forward so an eclass can be cleaned up/moved forward, sure, but
14 > > arbitrary "please go bump xyz" without a specific reason (and/or
15 > > legwork done if not) isn't helpful. Kind of equivalent to zero-day
16 > > bump requests in my view in terms of usefulness.
17 >
18 > Except this is what we have now,
19
20 Yes, I stated it because I view it as useful/sane.
21
22 > and isn't a compromise at all.
23
24 I think you're mistaken in assuming a compromise is the required
25 outcome of this. Given the choice between something productive, and
26 something not productive, you don't choose the quasi-productive
27 solution.
28
29 Bluntly, chasing EAPI versions w/out gain is a waste of time; others
30 may think "but it should be EAPI4- the latest!"- and they'd be wrong.
31 You bump when there is a reason to do so, or when from a maintenance
32 standoint you've got time (now) to do so and can push it forward-
33 getting ahead of future work. Keep in mind the rule "every change
34 carries a risk"- while the risk is generally stupidly low, it's
35 something I don't think you're being cognizant of in this notion of
36 trying to get everything at EAPI whatever.
37
38 Filing a bunch of "please bump this to EAPI-whatever" is just annoying
39 nagging, it doesn't accomplish anything nor is the ticket particularly
40 useful on it's own. A "Please bump to EAPI4 due to issue xyz" is
41 useful- there is a core reason beyond "hey, EAPI4 is the latest AND
42 EVERYTHING MUST BE THE LATEST GREATEST!!!" :)
43
44 Same angle for EAPI5 and user patching... yes, devs will have a reason
45 to move it forward, but user patching is going to be used by a *small*
46 fraction of our userbase. Meaning if you want it, you're likely going
47 to need to do the legwork bumping things forward, else you're on the
48 devs time/prioritizations.
49
50 Not saying it's perfect, but the comments above are realistic rather
51 than trying to compromise against the realities of the situation. ;)
52 ~harring