From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item draft for >=sys-fs/udev-209 upgrade
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:46:37
1 Lars Wendler wrote:
2 > >> - try to prevent most naming pollution of pure udev with systemd
3 > >> crap.
4 > >
5 > >childish. me don't like pink ponies. pink too much. pony okay.
6 >
7 > Riiight... as udev has anything else to do with systemd other than
8 > being uselessly integrated into systemd whereas it can still work on
9 > its own with no whatsoever relation to systemd. But yes, totally
10 > childish...
11
12 I wouldn't say childish but it doesn't seem too useful to me. It
13 seems clear (at least to me) that even if there isn't so tight
14 integration of udev with systemd today it's reasonable to expect
15 that there will be tight integration in the soonish future, as
16 upstream continues to move in the direction they like.
17
18 There's nothing wrong per se with a future udev ebuild which
19 applies a mega-patch onto systemd sources in order to get udevd
20 standalone but I think that's probably not the most useful
21 contribution you can make to Gentoo, Lars.
22
23 Of course in the end you should work on what you like, but in your
24 place I would probably focus on something else, probably eudev.
27 //Peter