From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: peter@×××××.se
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item draft for >=sys-fs/udev-209 upgrade
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:44:50
1 On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:46:23 +0100 Peter Stuge wrote:
2
3 >Lars Wendler wrote:
4 >> >> - try to prevent most naming pollution of pure udev with systemd
5 >> >> crap.
6 >> >
7 >> >childish. me don't like pink ponies. pink too much. pony okay.
8 >>
9 >> Riiight... as udev has anything else to do with systemd other than
10 >> being uselessly integrated into systemd whereas it can still work on
11 >> its own with no whatsoever relation to systemd. But yes, totally
12 >> childish...
13 >
14 >I wouldn't say childish but it doesn't seem too useful to me. It
15 >seems clear (at least to me) that even if there isn't so tight
16 >integration of udev with systemd today it's reasonable to expect
17 >that there will be tight integration in the soonish future, as
18 >upstream continues to move in the direction they like.
19 >
20 >There's nothing wrong per se with a future udev ebuild which
21 >applies a mega-patch onto systemd sources in order to get udevd
22 >standalone but I think that's probably not the most useful
23 >contribution you can make to Gentoo, Lars.
24 >
25 >Of course in the end you should work on what you like, but in your
26 >place I would probably focus on something else, probably eudev.
29 >//Peter
30
31 As long as it's feasible I will continue patching the systemd crap out
32 of udev.
33 The worst part always was and still is the man pages as one cannot
34 re-use previous patches on them. Whatever systemd maniacs are doing
35 there, it's the most time consuming part of the patching.
36 The fun part is, it's still quite easy to get udev standalone without
37 anything being related to systemd (with the exception of the systemd
38 unit files which still can be used with my ebuilds).
41 Lars Wendler
42 Gentoo package maintainer
43 GPG: 4DD8 C47C CDFA 5295 E1A6 3FC8 F696 74AB 981C A6FC