From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: peter@×××××.se
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item draft for >=sys-fs/udev-209 upgrade
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:05:44
1 On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:46:23 +0100 Peter Stuge wrote:
3 >
4 >>Lars Wendler wrote:
5 >>> >> - try to prevent most naming pollution of pure udev with systemd
6 >>> >> crap.
7 >>> >
8 >>> >childish. me don't like pink ponies. pink too much. pony okay.
9 >>>
10 >>> Riiight... as udev has anything else to do with systemd other than
11 >>> being uselessly integrated into systemd whereas it can still work on
12 >>> its own with no whatsoever relation to systemd. But yes, totally
13 >>> childish...
14 >>
15 >>I wouldn't say childish but it doesn't seem too useful to me. It
16 >>seems clear (at least to me) that even if there isn't so tight
17 >>integration of udev with systemd today it's reasonable to expect
18 >>that there will be tight integration in the soonish future, as
19 >>upstream continues to move in the direction they like.
20 >>
21 >>There's nothing wrong per se with a future udev ebuild which
22 >>applies a mega-patch onto systemd sources in order to get udevd
23 >>standalone but I think that's probably not the most useful
24 >>contribution you can make to Gentoo, Lars.
25 >>
26 >>Of course in the end you should work on what you like, but in your
27 >>place I would probably focus on something else, probably eudev.
30 >>//Peter
31 >
32 > As long as it's feasible I will continue patching the systemd crap out
33 > of udev.
34 > The worst part always was and still is the man pages as one cannot
35 > re-use previous patches on them. Whatever systemd maniacs are doing
36 > there, it's the most time consuming part of the patching.
37 > The fun part is, it's still quite easy to get udev standalone without
38 > anything being related to systemd (with the exception of the systemd
39 > unit files which still can be used with my ebuilds).
42 Don't oversell this; your changes are purely cosmetic and really
43 amount to renaming a few files. udev still includes code from several
44 systemd helper libraries; it just gets linked in statically.