From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] .la files removal news item (GLEP 42)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 03:02:08
1 On 10:20 Sat 02 Oct , Alistair Bush wrote:
2 > Would it not be a better solution to have this information documented
3 > "properly" under Upgrade Guides or Gentoo System Documentation and
4 > then have this news item linked to it.
5
6 This is a good point if it turns out that this isn't temporary. See
7 below...
8
9 > How is this news item going to help ppl in a month from now (till the
10 > issue is solved in its entirety). Can we reasonably expect a new user
11 > to be aware of this. Do we expect users to read old ( and this could
12 > potentially become very old) news items.
13
14 As soon as new stages get built with portage 2.1.9 (i.e., as soon as it
15 goes stable, as I understand the autobuild process), it should no longer
16 be a problem for fresh installations.
17
18 It will of course remain a problem for people who wait forever to update
19 their systems, but it will come in as a news item whenever they do
20 update.
21
22 It almost makes you wonder whether portage-2.1.9 should run lafilefixer
23 itself in postinst, just to ensure everything's fixed on the system
24 before it starts fixing individual new packages.
27 Thanks,
28 Donnie
29
30 Donnie Berkholz