From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 04:23:33
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 12/14/2013 04:57 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 08:47:01PM +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
6 >> OK, I see what you mean.
7 >> To be clear, I'm not ready to have a stage3 without netifrc. If / when we
8 >> update catalyst so that the new stage3 is the sum of @system and
9 >> additional packages, we can move netifrc to that list.
10 >
11 > Actually I'm not even sure how necessary that kind of update is.
12 >
13 > I didn't quite follow what the reasoning against my second proposal was.
14 >
15 > Once openrc-0.12.4 is stable everywhere it is going to go stable, I want
16 > to add virtual/network-manager to the tree. This would contain a list of
17 > network manager providers.
18 >
19 > I think adding it to the tree is good, because we have other virtuals
20 > for multiple packages that perform the same function -- virtual/logger,
21 > virtual/mta, etc.
22 >
23 Excellent idea. since busybox is in the stage3 and it provides udhcpc
24 we don't really need dhcpcd or netifrc or even really iproute2.
25
26 I have no problem distributing stage2's if everyone wants a crippled
27 place to start from, but this talk of removing base net scripts makes no
28 sense to me. It interferes with nothing. It blocks nothing. It takes
29 almost no space at all. There is zero downside to keeping it. Until
30 such time as someone tells me an actual downside to having netifrc in
31 the stage3 I will be reverting any change which removes it as critical
32 breakage. You will know when this statement no longer holds when I
33 specifically state that on this mailing list that I agree, netifrc is a
34 problem and needs to be removed. Until then, please, the bike shed is
35 green.
36
37 - -Zero
38
39 > Once that is done, we could easily add it to @system then I would drop
40 > the netifrc use flag. That would take care of the situation if netifrc
41 > was the default provider.
42 >
43 > Then, if you decide to add the function you are talking about to
44 > catalyst, we could look into dropping virtual/network-manager from
45 > @system.
46 >
47 > I'll attach the ebuild below so everyone sees it.
48 >
49 > William