From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: jmbsvicetto@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 21:57:15
1 On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 08:47:01PM +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > OK, I see what you mean.
3 > To be clear, I'm not ready to have a stage3 without netifrc. If / when we
4 > update catalyst so that the new stage3 is the sum of @system and
5 > additional packages, we can move netifrc to that list.
6
7 Actually I'm not even sure how necessary that kind of update is.
8
9 I didn't quite follow what the reasoning against my second proposal was.
10
11 Once openrc-0.12.4 is stable everywhere it is going to go stable, I want
12 to add virtual/network-manager to the tree. This would contain a list of
13 network manager providers.
14
15 I think adding it to the tree is good, because we have other virtuals
16 for multiple packages that perform the same function -- virtual/logger,
17 virtual/mta, etc.
18
19 Once that is done, we could easily add it to @system then I would drop
20 the netifrc use flag. That would take care of the situation if netifrc
21 was the default provider.
22
23 Then, if you decide to add the function you are talking about to
24 catalyst, we could look into dropping virtual/network-manager from
25 @system.
26
27 I'll attach the ebuild below so everyone sees it.
28
29 William

network-manager-0.ebuild text/plain