From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new eclass: go-live.eclass for handling go live ebuilds
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 19:45:32
1 On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 12:27:39PM -0700, Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 >
3 > > On 2015-06-04, at 12:10, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > All,
6 > >
7 > > we are starting to get more go packages in the tree, so we need an
8 > > eclass that properly deals with go live ebuilds.
9 >
10 > Why live only?
11 >
12 > Your eclass does what every other live and non-live ebuild does for Go: create a temporary Go environment without the package in question. This is fine (I hate how Go is designed in this respect). I just think non-live Go packages definitely need an eclass.
13
14 The function of this eclass is to take the place of the git-* eclass in
15 the go live ebuilds. You can't rely on git being the vcs upstream uses,
16 and there is no way to tell what the vcs or the vcs URL is reliably from
17 the name of a package, so it is best to use "go get" to grab the
18 source. Please look at "go help importpath" for more details about this.
19
20 I will start another discussion about non-live ebuilds once this eclass
21 is in the tree, because I do think I see an issue with how they are
22 being done.
23
24 William