From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:54:04
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:14:30AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:33:18 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
3 > | On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:54:06PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > | > Well, if Portage ever gets multiple repository support, then news
5 > | > clients can be updated to handle it. The GLEP says that already.
6 > | Care to clarify how that transition is going to occur?
7 > |
8 > | Your proposal, if you know a roadblock is coming down the line I
9 > | expect it to be documented in the glep (with potential suggestions
10 > | how to minimize the horkage).
11 >
12 > It'll probably just be a case of updating news clients to query Portage
13 > somehow for a list of repository IDs and using appropriately named news
14 > files.
15
16 Transitioning from single news.unread to N is going to break clients
17 that expect a single.
18
19 As I said, you're going to break stuff- and you're building it into
20 your glep out of (aparent) stubborness.
21
22 What do you want, another glep amending yours with that one little
23 detail? Or someone just gets off their ass and tweaks your glep, gets
24 another glep #, and stops the pointless arguing with you and pushes
25 a competing glep?
26
27 The news glep crosses several groups, collaboration here is required,
28 meaning *listen* to the folk you're trying to command. Otherwise the
29 glep *will* go nowhere no matter how much noise you make.
32 > Hard to say for sure without details of how exactly multiple
33 > repository support will work though -- for example, if you're going to
34 > allow fancy characters in repository names then some kind of name
35 > mangling standard will need to be defined.
36
37 Standard ascii, same rules required for glep31.
40 > | If you're going to create and dump a mess on us, I expect it to be in
41 > | the proposal- especially since your proposal is intrinsically portage
42 > | bound.
43 >
44 > There's very little that's Portage bound. As originally requested, I've
45 > tried to keep as much as is reasonably possible *out* of Portage...
46
47 It's distributed via the portage tree, it's updated by portage, the
48 check for new news items is *via* portage, and check for news items
49 prior to merging is done by portage.
50
51 If that truly was your intention, you failed in it.. It's bound to
52 portage, despite the rhetoric.
55 > | Thing that's daft out of all of this time wasting is that what's
56 > | being asked of you is a couple of portageq calls so that we're not
57 > | screwed over by a feature. Something along the lines of...
58 > |
59 > | portageq get_repo_id path # helper method of getting repo_id for a
60 > | path (dar) portageq match root atom [repo-id] # method of limiting
61 > | matching of vdb to a specific source repo
62 > | portageq newsdir repo_id # get the absolute news path for said id.
63 >
64 > You're asking me to guess how Portage multiple repository support will
65 > work, and then ask for a bunch of changes to Portage to support
66 > appropriate dummy functions.
67
68 I'll remind you that portage devs have stated this is required for
69 your damn glep. Iow, collaboration here is required- work out the api
70 that you need that fits in with what we need, instead of wasting our
71 time arguing over whether you should do it or not.
74 > Unless you're prepared to commit
75 > yourselves to saying "multiple repository support will work like
76 > $blah", I'm not going to even think about asking you to restrict
77 > yourselves to a particular implementation...
78
79 There's no asking here; you're pushing a glep, we've stated in it's
80 current form constrains *our* efforts long term.
81
82 Word games suck, instead of playing them you *should* be trying to
83 address the concerns- iow, what do you *explicitly* need from portage,
86 > Especially since you've said "we're not doing it the way you think it
87 > should work"...
88
89 Where have I stated that? My statements thus far about multi repo
90 were in reference to a glep that missed the target.
91
92 Provide quotes please, or get back to nailing down exactly what you
93 need portageq wise so we can state "do it this way, and we'll shut
94 up".
97 > | If it's too slow, I'd suggest since it's your proposal, looking for a
98 > | method to batch up the calls (modularization of portageq would be
99 > | required, which is available in the dead ebd branch already). Tricks
100 > | of that sort are easily implemented, and don't require specs and
101 > | gleps (just requires someone to do a minor bit of work).
102 >
103 > That's not likely to be a major performance hit... We're not expecting
104 > the user to have more than a few repositories, are we?
105
106 Stated it to cut off any angle of "waah, can't go that route,
107 portageq calls are to slow".
108
109 Something your glep doesn't clarify and I want nailed down in stone
110 (since at your request we are being explicit here), is how the
111 'package manager' is going to track news items that are marked as
112 unread already, further the news.skip file.
113
114 Basically... you're the glep author/champion, implementing the portage
115 modifications are your responsibility (we may help, but it's your job
116 to do it). Since this proposal *is* complicating portage, hand waving
117 of the sort "implementation is not specified by this GLEP" I want
118 nailed down.
119
120 You want us to nail everything down for our request, I'd like you to
121 do the same (especially since we're stuck maintaining whatever you
122 propose/create).
123 ~harring