From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:20:16
1 On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:33:18 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:54:06PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:48:45 -0800 Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
5 | > wrote:
6 | > | I wish you'd reconsider, because I was looking forward to multiple
7 | > | repository support.
8 | >
9 | > Well, if Portage ever gets multiple repository support, then news
10 | > clients can be updated to handle it. The GLEP says that already.
11 |
12 | Care to clarify how that transition is going to occur?
13 |
14 | Your proposal, if you know a roadblock is coming down the line I
15 | expect it to be documented in the glep (with potential suggestions
16 | how to minimize the horkage).
17
18 It'll probably just be a case of updating news clients to query Portage
19 somehow for a list of repository IDs and using appropriately named news
20 files. Hard to say for sure without details of how exactly multiple
21 repository support will work though -- for example, if you're going to
22 allow fancy characters in repository names then some kind of name
23 mangling standard will need to be defined.
24
25 | If you're going to create and dump a mess on us, I expect it to be in
26 | the proposal- especially since your proposal is intrinsically portage
27 | bound.
28
29 There's very little that's Portage bound. As originally requested, I've
30 tried to keep as much as is reasonably possible *out* of Portage...
31
32 | Thing that's daft out of all of this time wasting is that what's
33 | being asked of you is a couple of portageq calls so that we're not
34 | screwed over by a feature. Something along the lines of...
35 |
36 | portageq get_repo_id path # helper method of getting repo_id for a
37 | path (dar) portageq match root atom [repo-id] # method of limiting
38 | matching of vdb to a specific source repo
39 | portageq newsdir repo_id # get the absolute news path for said id.
40
41 You're asking me to guess how Portage multiple repository support will
42 work, and then ask for a bunch of changes to Portage to support
43 appropriate dummy functions. Unless you're prepared to commit
44 yourselves to saying "multiple repository support will work like
45 $blah", I'm not going to even think about asking you to restrict
46 yourselves to a particular implementation...
47
48 Especially since you've said "we're not doing it the way you think it
49 should work"...
50
51 | If it's too slow, I'd suggest since it's your proposal, looking for a
52 | method to batch up the calls (modularization of portageq would be
53 | required, which is available in the dead ebd branch already). Tricks
54 | of that sort are easily implemented, and don't require specs and
55 | gleps (just requires someone to do a minor bit of work).
56
57 That's not likely to be a major performance hit... We're not expecting
58 the user to have more than a few repositories, are we?
61 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
62 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
63 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm