From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:26:38
1 Thierry Carrez wrote:
2 > Lance Albertson wrote:
5 >>Why do you feel bad about delaying their GLEP because of a mistake on
6 >>their part? Its their responsibility to repost the revised GLEP with
7 >>ample time before the meeting so that proper discussion can unfold. You
8 >>shouldn't feel bad for them because you would require them to wait
9 >>another month.
12 > Well, there is nowhere policy on how to handle GLEPs that "will be
13 > accepted if the following changes are made". You say it should have been
14 > republished to -dev. We said, "we accept it but next time it should be
15 > published to -dev at least a week before".
16
17 I was looking for the revised glep to discuss not the meeting notes from
18 the previous meeting. The GLEP should be the focus of discussion not the
19 meeting notes.
20
21 >>The subdomain and sharing of an access for r/o cvs access was first
22 >>introduced in the revised version of the GLEP which was sent out the day
23 >>before the vote.
26 > In fact it's been introduced 4 days before, on Nov 11. Then on Nov 12,
27 > Homer Parker submitted the revised GLEP to the council agenda. Then, on
28 > Nov 14, realizing some people thought it should have been resubmitted
29 > before, he posted it to -dev. On Nov 15, not one single complain was
30 > made on the subject of the email subdomain.
31
32 Submitting the idea and actually submitting the revision are two
33 completely different things. Not a single complaint was sent because
34 some of us can't catch up on -dev email within 24 hours. I was actually
35 going to reply to it, but thought that the council would have enough
36 sense to see our concerns about giving the public so little time to
37 discuss would postpone the vote. But I didn't get to that before the
38 vote time because of real life constraints.
39
40 >>I would have thought that the folks working on the GLEP
41 >>would consider asking infra about the logistics of that solution or that
42 >>even the council would be curious about that question as well.
45 > We have an infra team member in the council. And since no infra member
46 > contested the change to have a subdomain that was required in _October_,
47 > we thought (obviously by mistake) that it was OK for them. Our mistake
48 > was to suppose at least one infra member would read council meeting
49 > summaries.
50
51 >From the meeting log:
52
53 15:14 <@solar> He posted to the list that this topic could be postponed.
54 15:14 <@SwifT> I wouldn't ask for postponal, for me the GLEP's issues
55 have been addressed and taken care of
56
57 [...]
58
59 15:23 <@solar> If this is not being postponed on the topic of glep41 as
60 said on the mailing list then I'm going with a no on this topic. So far
61 what I've seen of AT's and the existing AT lead for x86@ has not been
62 very encouraging. thus I dont think it is worth it to put the extra
63 workload on infra.
64 15:24 <@vapier> and if it were postponed, what would change your mind ?
65
66 [...]
67
68 15:27 <@Koon> anyway, he has the right to vote no, anyone reverting his
69 vote to follow solar ?
70 15:27 <@solar> the majority of you have voted yes so it still will pass.
71 I'm fine with that.
72
73 So, infra's 'member' on the council clearly was trying to protect our
74 interests and postponing the vote until we had a clear voice on the
75 matter. I made [1] my concerns about the topic the day before the vote.
76 I didn't have enough time to go through the GLEP and come back with
77 specifics. I was hoping that the decision would be postponed so I could
78 voice my concerns then.
79
80 [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=113199543120777&w=2
81
82 >>>I won't stand (mostly) alone defending the Council handling of the
83 >>>problem, we were just trying to find the most acceptable solution, which
84 >>>is what we were elected for. Let the vocal minority reverse that
85 >>>decision, I no longer care.
86 >>
87 >>No longer caring about a decision you made? I certainly hope not.
90 > No longer caring enough to try to improve the way Gentoo works. I tried,
91 > and it's not worth it. I am like two feet from the exit door, and prefer
92 > not to comment anymore on the subject, to calm down and avoid definitive
93 > decisions I would regret.
94
95 I'm sorry to hear that.
98 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
99 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
100
101 ---
102 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
103 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
104
105 ramereth/irc.freenode.net