From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:54:04
1 Lance Albertson wrote:
2
3 > Why do you feel bad about delaying their GLEP because of a mistake on
4 > their part? Its their responsibility to repost the revised GLEP with
5 > ample time before the meeting so that proper discussion can unfold. You
6 > shouldn't feel bad for them because you would require them to wait
7 > another month.
8
9 Well, there is nowhere policy on how to handle GLEPs that "will be
10 accepted if the following changes are made". You say it should have been
11 republished to -dev. We said, "we accept it but next time it should be
12 published to -dev at least a week before".
13
14 > The subdomain and sharing of an access for r/o cvs access was first
15 > introduced in the revised version of the GLEP which was sent out the day
16 > before the vote.
17
18 In fact it's been introduced 4 days before, on Nov 11. Then on Nov 12,
19 Homer Parker submitted the revised GLEP to the council agenda. Then, on
20 Nov 14, realizing some people thought it should have been resubmitted
21 before, he posted it to -dev. On Nov 15, not one single complain was
22 made on the subject of the email subdomain.
23
24 > I would have thought that the folks working on the GLEP
25 > would consider asking infra about the logistics of that solution or that
26 > even the council would be curious about that question as well.
27
28 We have an infra team member in the council. And since no infra member
29 contested the change to have a subdomain that was required in _October_,
30 we thought (obviously by mistake) that it was OK for them. Our mistake
31 was to suppose at least one infra member would read council meeting
32 summaries.
33
34 >>I won't stand (mostly) alone defending the Council handling of the
35 >>problem, we were just trying to find the most acceptable solution, which
36 >>is what we were elected for. Let the vocal minority reverse that
37 >>decision, I no longer care.
38 >
39 > No longer caring about a decision you made? I certainly hope not.
40
41 No longer caring enough to try to improve the way Gentoo works. I tried,
42 and it's not worth it. I am like two feet from the exit door, and prefer
43 not to comment anymore on the subject, to calm down and avoid definitive
44 decisions I would regret.
47 Thierry Carrez (Koon)
48 Operational Manager, Gentoo Linux Security
49 Gentoo Council member
50 --
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list