From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:27:51
1 Thierry Carrez wrote:
2
3 > Cut the kabbale crap : we felt bad about delaying the GLEP vote for one
4 > more month, and we also felt bad about pushing the decision while some
5 > people already complained that revised version wasn't published soon
6 > enough. The meetings logs are quite clear on this. So we took the median
7 > way, accept that GLEP with those changes nobody complained about, and
8 > create policy so that such things won't happen in the future. Apparently
9 > we were wrong on two accounts :
10
11 Why do you feel bad about delaying their GLEP because of a mistake on
12 their part? Its their responsibility to repost the revised GLEP with
13 ample time before the meeting so that proper discussion can unfold. You
14 shouldn't feel bad for them because you would require them to wait
15 another month.
16
17 > - There were people that disagreed with the changes but stayed quiet in
18 > their corner, waiting for a revised GLEP to appear to make their
19 > comments, and that were caught short by its publication just before the
20 > meeting
21
22 The subdomain and sharing of an access for r/o cvs access was first
23 introduced in the revised version of the GLEP which was sent out the day
24 before the vote. I would have thought that the folks working on the GLEP
25 would consider asking infra about the logistics of that solution or that
26 even the council would be curious about that question as well. As far as
27 I can tell, neither me nor Kurt were contacted directly asking about the
28 logistics of their revised proposal. I agree with Kurt's previous email
29 that we're not trying to a pull a "we have the power so we won't do it",
30 its more about "we were never informed/asked about the logistics of the
31 revised GLEP and had things voted upon without our proper input.
32
33 > - There were people that don't have an opinion on the subject but were
34 > watching the council for its first bad step to be able to accuse it of
35 > abuse of power or worse
36
37 I certainly hope that's not the case. I respect the council and what
38 they are trying to do, I just feel that you guys make a big mistake by
39 letting this through without proper discussion. I would like to see one
40 or several of the council members speak out with some solution for this
41 problem we clearly have. What happened, happened.. lets work together to
42 fix this problem instead of dwelling on the past.
43
44 > I won't stand (mostly) alone defending the Council handling of the
45 > problem, we were just trying to find the most acceptable solution, which
46 > is what we were elected for. Let the vocal minority reverse that
47 > decision, I no longer care.
48
49 No longer caring about a decision you made? I certainly hope not.
50
51 To me, the most acceptable solution considering the circumstances should
52 have been "They didn't get the revised version out with proper time for
53 discussion. I think its best that we wait until the next meeting because
54 of some logistical issues that still need to be addressed in the GLEP."
57 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
58 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
59
60 ---
61 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
62 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
63
64 ramereth/irc.freenode.net