From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: multilib and fhs 3
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 09:46:47
1 William Hubbs posted on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 17:48:15 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > All,
4 >
5 > fhs 3.0 was approved in June this year [1] [2].
6 >
7 > The piece of it that I want to bring up is the lib and libxx
8 > directories, both in / and /usr. The way I read the fhs, /lib and
9 > /usr/lib should hold the files for the default abi and /libxx and
10 > /usr/libxx should hold the files for the alternate abis. In earlier fhs,
11 > there was an exception for amd64 which stated that the default libraries
12 > should be in /lib64 and /usr/lib64. However, that exception is now gone.
13 >
14 > I know there was discussion/work in the past on removing the lib->lib64
15 > symlinks on amd64, but I don't remember what happened to that
16 > discussion. So, I would like to bring it up again and get the info.
17 >
18 > What would it take for us to remove the lib->lib64 links?
19 >
20 > What would it take for us to do this migration on live systems?
21 >
22 > William
23 >
24 > [1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/FHS [2]
25 > http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.html
26
27 I don't know what the current status is, but years ago, I used to run
28 portage with FEATURES=multilib-strict. There weren't many violations in
29 my installed base at the time, and when there were I filed bugs.
30
31 This biggest problems didn't have to do with installing to the wrong
32 place, but rather, with configuration paths, etc, not being corrected,
33 resulting in runtime errors if lib and lib64 were not in fact the same
34 directory, via symlink or whatever. IIRC, openrc itself, or at least
35 some openrc initscripts, possibly owned by other packages, was quite a
36 headache in that regard.
37
38 However, I killed multilib-strict some years ago when I went no-multilib,
39 and after experiencing problems when lib and lib64 weren't in fact the
40 same dir, I've not touched those symlinks in years, plus I run systemd
41 now so wouldn't know about openrc's status even if I was aware of the
42 general status, so I've no idea what the current status is.
43
44 But multilib-strict in fact checks that packages use lib64 for 64-bit elf
45 libs (tho I think it might actually get the specifics from the profile,
46 the amd64 or portage folks should be able to say for sure), failing the
47 install if lib is used instead, so if in fact FHS 3.0 reverses that, we'd
48 either have to reverse its check, or possibly configure a test to some
49 third directory, and then do a test run to catch anything that's
50 installing to either location, hard-coded.
51
52 Tho as I said, the actual installed installation isn't the entire
53 problem. Multilib-strict doesn't catch it when a binary is installed to
54 the right place, but some configuration hard-coding isn't corrected and
55 still points elsewhere, so if the two locations aren't symlinked or
56 otherwise actually the same location, things break. That's somewhat
57 harder to find, and in my experience, the worse headache to try to deal
58 with, since it's often only caught at runtime, and even then, may only be
59 caught in specific corner-cases when something doesn't load or isn't
60 found that you know is installed and should be found and load.
65 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman