From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GCC 4.6.0
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 05:51:39
1 Ryan Hill posted on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:11:12 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > You may also want to test your packages with the new -Ofast option to
4 > be sure it doesn't have any hardcoded assumptions about -O flags.
5
6 The release description I've read for -Ofast says it includes -fast-math,
7 among other things, a flag Gentoo has always strongly discouraged (you
8 break with it, you keep the pieces) and which can get bugs resolved/
9 invalid as a result.
10
11 Now that gcc 4.6 itself is more strongly supporting it as enabled with one
12 of the -O options, is that policy going to change, or is Gentoo going to
13 officially not support -Ofast, as well?
14
15 Or is that yet to be established, thru testing?
16
17 FWIW, I've always stayed away from that flag, but if Gentoo's going to
18 support it now, that may well change, tho I'd certainly disable it for
19 specific packages using /etc/portage/env/*, as I already do for
20 -combine, in my default CFLAGS but not CXXFLAGS, for instance.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman