From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GCC 4.6.0
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 10:14:18
1 On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 05:50:32 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Ryan Hill posted on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:11:12 -0600 as excerpted:
5 >
6 > > You may also want to test your packages with the new -Ofast option to
7 > > be sure it doesn't have any hardcoded assumptions about -O flags.
8 >
9 > The release description I've read for -Ofast says it includes -fast-math,
10 > among other things, a flag Gentoo has always strongly discouraged (you
11 > break with it, you keep the pieces) and which can get bugs resolved/
12 > invalid as a result.
13 >
14 > Now that gcc 4.6 itself is more strongly supporting it as enabled with one
15 > of the -O options, is that policy going to change, or is Gentoo going to
16 > officially not support -Ofast, as well?
17
18 I doubt we will. If a package breaks because of -Ofast there's really
19 nothing we can do about it. It's not a bug in the compiler or the package,
20 it's that you explicitly told it to generate non-standard-conformant code.
24 fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
25 toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
26 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662