From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:16:18
1 On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 15:56, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > I would suggest that in the spirit of inclusiveness that you put a 4.4
3 > ebuild together eventually, but never ever un-mask it, and have loud
4 > comments in the ebuild about why. Hell - even call it something else -
5 > "xfree-notfree" :) ? That way, if someone really wants 4.4 they can get
6 > it, but it won't appear as an upgrade from 4.3, and everyone else will
7 > stay happy and not be tempted to go there by accident or habit.
8
9 As I've stated elsewhere, this may not be legally possible for Gentoo
10 while simultaneously providing GPL drivers. I'd rather not press the
11 issue.
12
13 Thanks,
14 Donnie