From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:04:13
1 On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 07:16, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > It is also about forming a united front against XFree. Basically XFree wants
3 > to force impossible conditions upon the distributors. Added to that the whole
4 > mess of openness, lack of progress, and not in the least the whole Keith
5 > Packard mess, and I believe that we should not start with giving in.
6
7 I saw Keith last month (he was one of the speakers we had at
8 Linux.Conf.Au) and you would *drool* over the stuff he's working on.
9 example - transparent windows (including transparent drop down menus!)
10 [And it's only partially a CPU hog!]...
11
12 I'd say that wherever Keith's work ends up, the net result of the
13 freedesktop.org stack will be an excellent and interoperable graphics
14 platform.
15
16 I use Gentoo because it's lack of fussiness and imposed dogma on most of
17 these sorts of issues, but I'm not worried about the stand taken here.
18 xfree is self destructing anyway.
19
20 I would suggest that in the spirit of inclusiveness that you put a 4.4
21 ebuild together eventually, but never ever un-mask it, and have loud
22 comments in the ebuild about why. Hell - even call it something else -
23 "xfree-notfree" :) ? That way, if someone really wants 4.4 they can get
24 it, but it won't appear as an upgrade from 4.3, and everyone else will
25 stay happy and not be tempted to go there by accident or habit.
26
27 AfC
28 Canberra
31 Andrew Frederick Cowie
32 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
33
34 Australia +61 2 9977 6866 North America +1 646 472 5054
35
36 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list