From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: patrick@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-functions is in the tree
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:59:36
1 On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 07:59:55 +0800
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 03/13/2014 12:52 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 >
6 > Why deprecate it?
7 >
8 > I'm getting really irritated with the current trend of randomly
9 > renaming and movearounding things. All it does is confuse people,
10 > break existing setups and make documentation splitbrained (now you
11 > need to document two things, and half the old docs won't be aware of
12 > it ...)
13 >
14 > So I guess it boils down to "What does the /usr movearounding gain
15 > us", err, what does renaming bits of OpenRC improve?
16 >
17 > The best explanations so far I've seen are "it's nicer", "we've
18 > already done it" and "eh mate, why not? is groovy"
19 >
20 > > If Gentoo needs the symlink after it is removed from OpenRc, I think
21 > > that is the time we can talk about putting it in gentoo-functions.
22 >
23 > Now that is funny, but why move it away just so that users panic and
24 > re-add the wrong flavour of it?
25 >
26 > Well, progress I guess: If you change enough things in trivial ways
27 > you can claim innovation and show a great rate of change ("I'm not
28 > dead yet!")
31 I would say it's because library code such as that really does not
32 belong in /etc and placing it there in the first place was a mistake.
33 This is an attempt to correct the mistake without just breaking
34 everything without warning.