From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-functions is in the tree
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:55:24
1 On 03/13/2014 12:52 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 >>> No, I don't think gentoo-functions should take over the symbolic
4 >>> link in /etc/init.d/functions.sh; that needs to stay with OpenRc.
5 >>> My plan there is to work that into a script that prints a warning
6 >>> message. It will stay that way until openrc-1.0. OpenRc upstream
7 >>> uses semantic versioning [2]. This means that as long as we are at
8 >>> 0.x we have to keep things backward compatible.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> ...why not? As you've said yourself, nothing related to openrc uses
12 >> /etc/init.d/functions.sh; if everything else in the tree is going to
13 >> use the new gentoo-functions "lib", why wouldn't custom end-user
14 >> scripts too?
15 >>
16 >> (again, scanned the bug, didn't see anything relevant to this)
17 >
18 > The relevance is that /etc/init.d/functions.sh is currently part of
19 > OpenRc's public API, and semantic versioning has a very specific
20 > description of how to deprecate functionality.
21
22 Why deprecate it?
23
24 I'm getting really irritated with the current trend of randomly renaming
25 and movearounding things. All it does is confuse people, break existing
26 setups and make documentation splitbrained (now you need to document two
27 things, and half the old docs won't be aware of it ...)
28
29 So I guess it boils down to "What does the /usr movearounding gain us",
30 err, what does renaming bits of OpenRC improve?
31
32 The best explanations so far I've seen are "it's nicer", "we've already
33 done it" and "eh mate, why not? is groovy"
34
35 > If Gentoo needs the symlink after it is removed from OpenRc, I think
36 > that is the time we can talk about putting it in gentoo-functions.
37
38 Now that is funny, but why move it away just so that users panic and
39 re-add the wrong flavour of it?
40
41 Well, progress I guess: If you change enough things in trivial ways you
42 can claim innovation and show a great rate of change ("I'm not dead yet!")
45 grmblgrrrrr,
46
47 Patrick