From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: patrick@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-functions is in the tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 06:35:28
1 Dnia 2014-03-13, o godz. 07:59:55
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 03/13/2014 12:52 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 >
6 > >>> No, I don't think gentoo-functions should take over the symbolic
7 > >>> link in /etc/init.d/functions.sh; that needs to stay with OpenRc.
8 > >>> My plan there is to work that into a script that prints a warning
9 > >>> message. It will stay that way until openrc-1.0. OpenRc upstream
10 > >>> uses semantic versioning [2]. This means that as long as we are at
11 > >>> 0.x we have to keep things backward compatible.
12 > >>>
13 > >>
14 > >> ...why not? As you've said yourself, nothing related to openrc uses
15 > >> /etc/init.d/functions.sh; if everything else in the tree is going to
16 > >> use the new gentoo-functions "lib", why wouldn't custom end-user
17 > >> scripts too?
18 > >>
19 > >> (again, scanned the bug, didn't see anything relevant to this)
20 > >
21 > > The relevance is that /etc/init.d/functions.sh is currently part of
22 > > OpenRc's public API, and semantic versioning has a very specific
23 > > description of how to deprecate functionality.
24 >
25 > Why deprecate it?
26 >
27 > I'm getting really irritated with the current trend of randomly renaming
28 > and movearounding things. All it does is confuse people, break existing
29 > setups and make documentation splitbrained (now you need to document two
30 > things, and half the old docs won't be aware of it ...)
31
32 See: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/3357
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny