From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-functions is in the tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 02:37:38
1 On 03/12/2014 7:59 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 03/13/2014 12:52 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> No, I don't think gentoo-functions should take over the symbolic
5 >>>> link in /etc/init.d/functions.sh; that needs to stay with OpenRc.
6 >>>> My plan there is to work that into a script that prints a warning
7 >>>> message. It will stay that way until openrc-1.0. OpenRc upstream
8 >>>> uses semantic versioning [2]. This means that as long as we are at
9 >>>> 0.x we have to keep things backward compatible.
10 >>>>
11 >>>
12 >>> ...why not? As you've said yourself, nothing related to openrc uses
13 >>> /etc/init.d/functions.sh; if everything else in the tree is going to
14 >>> use the new gentoo-functions "lib", why wouldn't custom end-user
15 >>> scripts too?
16 >>>
17 >>> (again, scanned the bug, didn't see anything relevant to this)
18 >>
19 >> The relevance is that /etc/init.d/functions.sh is currently part of
20 >> OpenRc's public API, and semantic versioning has a very specific
21 >> description of how to deprecate functionality.
22 >
23 > Why deprecate it?
24 >
25 > I'm getting really irritated with the current trend of randomly renaming
26 > and movearounding things. All it does is confuse people, break existing
27 > setups and make documentation splitbrained (now you need to document two
28 > things, and half the old docs won't be aware of it ...)
29 >
30 > So I guess it boils down to "What does the /usr movearounding gain us",
31 > err, what does renaming bits of OpenRC improve?
32 >
33 > The best explanations so far I've seen are "it's nicer", "we've already
34 > done it" and "eh mate, why not? is groovy"
35 >
36 >> If Gentoo needs the symlink after it is removed from OpenRc, I think
37 >> that is the time we can talk about putting it in gentoo-functions.
38 >
39 > Now that is funny, but why move it away just so that users panic and
40 > re-add the wrong flavour of it?
41 >
42 > Well, progress I guess: If you change enough things in trivial ways you
43 > can claim innovation and show a great rate of change ("I'm not dead yet!")
44
45 Maybe we should write another script for OpenRC that, at each boot,
46 determines a random location in your filesystem and moves
47 /etc/init.d/functions.sh there, but moves it back on system shutdown. It'll
48 also go through all scripts that source functions.sh and update them to
49 point at the new, random location, each time.
50
51 We'll also need a type of openrc-fsck script that handles cases of unclean
52 shutdowns that don't move the file back to /etc (or /lib, or both).
53
54 Now that's innovation!
57 Joshua Kinard
58 Gentoo/MIPS
59 kumba@g.o
60 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
61
62 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
63 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
64
65 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic