From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 19:55:57
1 On Mon, 2020-12-28 at 13:59 -0500, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 12/28/20 3:56 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hello, developers and Gentoo LibreSSL team.
4 > >
5 > > TL;DR: is there really a point in continuing the never-ending
6 > > always-
7 > > regressing struggle towards supporting LibreSSL in Gentoo?
10 > > I would like to discuss the possibility of discontinuing LibreSSL
11 > > support in Gentoo in favor of sticking with OpenSSL.  Similarly how
12 > > we
13 > > ended up deciding that fighting for libav was unpractical and the
14 > > vast
15 > > majority of users are using ffmpeg (because they didn't really have
16 > > a choice), today it seems that LibreSSL is suffering the same fate.
17 > >
18 > > LibreSSL users, does LibreSSL today have any benefit over OpenSSL?
19 > > To be honest, I don't think so.  In 2014, it might have represented
20 > > a new quality.  But today, OpenSSL is alive and kicking, and
21 > > LibreSSL
22 > > finds it hard to keep up.
23 > >
24 > > The vast majority of software is not tested against LibreSSL.
25 > > While
26 > > patches are usually trivial and we have people that submit them,
27 > > I find many of them short-sighted.  Just look at [1].  Sure, it
28 > > fixes
29 > > the build today but it disabled the feature for all foreseeable
30 > > future.
31 > > How likely is it that somebody will submit another patch reenabling
32 > > it
33 > > with a future LibreSSL version?
34 > >
35 > > While normally I strongly prefer submitting such patches upstream,
36 > > that
37 > > makes things even worse.  I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there
38 > > were
39 > > dozens of packages today that are crippled with LibreSSL just
40 > > because
41 > > somebody fixed the build in the past and never revisited the
42 > > problem.
43 > >
44 > > This somewhat resembles running in circles.  Packages kept being
45 > > broken
46 > > with LibreSSL because rarely anyone is using it.  And rarely anyone
47 > > is
48 > > using LibreSSL because the apparent benefit (or lack thereof) does
49 > > not
50 > > justify the constant breakage (plus invisible regressions).
51 > >
52 > > All this considered, provided that nobody is able to find a good
53 > > reason
54 > > to use LibreSSL, I would like to propose that we stop patching
55 > > packages, discontinue support for it and last rite it.
58 > > [1] https://761981.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=679892
61 > I'm the current project lead.  I inherited it back in the day from
62 > hasufel.  It originally had promise of being better than openssl with
63 > 100% compatibility.  I hung on because I trusted that team but it has
64 > become more of a hassle than its worth.  I am in favor of removing
65 > it.
66 > If we decide to do so, how should we proceed?
67
68 I think the usual plan for this kind of thing is to:
69
70 1. Issue a news item with the planned cutoff date, and suggest people
71 that they can set USE=-libressl to switch earlier.
72
73 2. At the cutoff date, use.mask libressl flag.
74
75 3. package.mask libressl itself to give people a clear message.
78 I might be wrong but I think the update should proceed cleanly with
79 --changed-use/--newuse. The PM will trigger the rebuilds,
80 and preserved-libs should take care of keeping libressl libs for
81 as long as necessary (yeah, I know relying on preserved-libs sucks).
82
83 The only problem that I can think of are packages that depend
84 on libressl specifically and do not support openssl. I don't think we
85 have anything like that but I'll double check.
88 Best regards,
89 Michał Górny