From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 17:08:06
1 On Tue, 9 Dec 2014 17:21:22 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2014-12-08, o godz. 09:56:11
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 11:37:57 +0100
8 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > 1. No cross-compilation support. If the project proves being a
11 > > > success it will be readded at some point. However, I will likely
12 > > > fork glibc first and work on a sane crossdev alternative.
13 > >
14 > > Could you please elaborate on this ?
15 > > How and why this broke, what is wrong in glibc, what would be a
16 > > "sane crossdev alternative" and how crossdev is not.
17 >
18 > 1. eblits are broken in glibc. Another case of incorrect
19 > interpretation of code sharing with love for breaking stable ebuilds.
20
21 its a local toolchain.eclass yes
22
23 > Plus I'd love to add multilib flags to it but we'll likely doing that
24 > to main glibc as well soon, if eblits don't get into our way.
25
26 keep in mind that, thanks to implicit system deps, you'll have to
27 use.force what your toolchain is supposed to be able to produce.
28
29 also, you'll probably face much more problems with bootstrapping
30 than the cosmetics of eblits: get a gcc that can compile .o for your
31 abi is easy, but you do not have the libc yet so can't link anything
32 unless you use nodefaultlibs alike switches
33
34 > 2. crossdev is broken because it creates semi-random, unmaintained
35 > ebuilds in randomly chosen overlay, those ebuilds relying on
36 > toolchain.eclass behavior.
37
38 it symlinks the dirs these days, so its not unmaintained
39
40 toolchain.eclass behavior you're referring to is probably the category
41 parsing to get CTARGET; this is very likely used in all other libc
42 ebuilds so you'll have to fix them too; not mentioning the ability to
43 update your cross toolchains with 'emerge world' that you cant do if
44 you dont feed CTARGET in some way.
47 > 3. I don't have any real alternative design yet. However, one
48 > of the first ideas of changing crossdev is to replace copying ebuilds
49 > with symlinking gcc ebuild directory. This will at least ensure proper
50 > sync between real ebuilds and cross-ebuilds.
53 as said above, this is the case here
54
55 Alexis.